The origins of the Department date back to 1872 when it was established, after Pisa's school, the Second Higher School of Agriculture of the Kingdom of Italy, which subsequently became the Faculty of Agriculture. A point of reference for science, culture and politics, the Faculty counts among its professors and students scholars who have contributed in the various fields of knowledge and social sciences to the transformation of the agricultural world. Scientists such as F. Silvestri, A. Scacchi, O. Comes, A. Parascandala, represent milestones in the modern approach to the study of entomology, mineralogy and botany. Others such as E. De Cillis and C. Santini played a prominent role in land remediation and agricultural mechanization. M. Rossi Doria and E. Sereni are unanimously considered for their economic ideas as the fathers of the southern question.
Il Dipartimento di Agraria - The Department of Agricultural Sciences at the University of Naples "Federico II" has its headquarters in the prestigious Royal Palace of Portici, a building commissioned by Charles of Bourbon. He was inspired to build a Real Villa as his summer residence after being invited by the Prince of Elboeuf Emmanuele Maurizio di Lorena to spend a day in his palace in Portici, and fell in love with the location. The palace was designed by the roman architect Antonio Canevari and the rooms were decorated by the painter Giuseppe Bonito. The sculptures and statues of the park are carved in Carrara marble and the works are attributed to Canart. The construction of the Royal Villa was completed in 1742. Many aristocratic families of the time also built their villas in the surrounding area, creating a concentration of palaces and gardens known today as the "Ville Vesuviane", a cultural patrimony of great importance.
The "Reggia" was acquired by the Provincial Administration of Naples in 1871 with the specific and declared intent of designating use for the "Scuola Superiore" of Agriculture; the first in Southern Italy and the surrounding Islands, and the third school to be established in the country after those of Pisa and Milan (1870). The school, with a three-year program, was legally recognized with a royal decree and it was inaugurated in 1873. In the academic year of 1935-36, the Institute acquired the name of Faculty of Agriculture of the University of Naples Federico II and from the academic year 2013-2014 the Department of Agricultural Sciences was established.
Sede distaccata di Avellino - Avellino branch is located in Avellino, on Viale Italia, next to the Istituto Tecnico Agrario De Sanctis. With the establishment of the University, the educational offer is consolidated and completed, in a synergistic osmosis between the different levels of education and, at the same time, the research on viticulture and enology is strengthened. The initiative to set up a degree course in Avellino, with the provision of the construction of a technologically and structurally avant-garde educational cellar, intends to propose the new university complex as a center of excellence, both nationally and internationally, in the field of viticulture and oenology: an advanced hi-tech research center that acts as a "transversal pollinator", a sort of "technological bumblebee", which offers all the technical, logistical, IT services for promotion, training, support and advice necessary to stimulate Research, Development and Technological Innovation, in order to create effective relations between its partners and the territory.
MASCABRUNO complex hosts:
- classrooms 1 (Rossi Doria), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- computer labs
- teaching laboratories 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- language laboratory
- study rooms
- CERMANU inter-departmental center
- Agricultural, Food, Environmental and Hygiene Microbiology section of the Food Science Institute
- Mechanization section of the productive activities of the Institute of Agricultural Engineering and Agronomy.
The 1st floor of the Royal Palace hosts:
- Orientation center - Info point
- Chinese room
- study rooms.
74: CNR - IGV
81b: Former poultry center
82: Bettini Museum
82nd: Bettini building
83: Agronomy Greenhouses
84: Food Science Section
85: Pathology Greenhouses
86: Botanical greenhouses
AP: Area of Pallacorda